18.4.12

Natural Dyes In Guatemala

Many of the villages and towns we visited while traveling in Guatemala had Co-ops where woman gathered to make colorful yarns and weave them into may beautiful tapestries.
San Juan, La Laguna was a town that particularly specialized in the coloring of yarns using natural dyes.  This made for beautiful muted colors and an interesting lesson in the various natural plants native to Central America which were used in the process.













I have used natural dyes to make Egg Shell Art as well as Flower Petal Fabric Dye .

Do you use natural dyes? 
What are your favorite or most unusual?  

6 comments:

Sally Tharpe Rowles said...

Beautiful photos ...especially the last two. I wish I knew more about natural dyes, this very interesting to me.

mermaid gallery said...

I like to use anything i find in my garden.....and just see what comes of it...natural dyes are earthy and muted....very modern palette....

Mama Gone Green said...

Amazing photos! I successfully died some yarn with onion skins once, but all of my other natural dying attempts have been pretty terrible!

HannahW said...

Beautiful post! I love all the natural colors!

http://likemamalikedaughter.blogspot.com/2012/04/wonderfull-full-of-wonder-wednesday_18.html

Rita said...

I love the colors! I would buy a pack of that yarn :)) although I can't knit;)
hugs!
J

Pat Tillett said...

Fantastic photos of a real artist. Love the colors...

Maybe You'll Enjoy These Too...

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...