6.11.12

Wicked, The Book And The Show


I have wanted to see this show for many years.  I first tried to see it when my youngest was still a baby and Dr. J and I were in New York.  The timing didn't work and we didn't see it. I read the book by Gregory Maguire titled Wicked: The Life and Times of the Wicked Witch of the West (1995) when it first came out.  It tells the 'other side of the story' from the point of view of the wicked witch, set in a modern contemporary, fictional world.  (Where it is not normal to be born green, per say, but animals talk and magic is real).  
We finally saw the show in Las Vegas where it was playing at the new Smith Center for Performing Arts.  I absolutely loved the show and felt it was well worth the (several year) wait.
The actors were amazing, the singing and choreography flawless and the costumes inspirational.  If you have not read the book, as Dr. J hadn't, you might also be amused with the clever take on how events really transpired to make this poor green woman seem wicked.  
I love watching live performances and despite not being the hugest fan of Broadway musicals I enjoyed every moment of this two and a half hour show.

Have you seen Wicked? What is your favorite Broadway show? 

2 comments:

LeeLee said...

I haven't seen Wicked, but I hope to in the near future. Mamma Mia is my favorite broadway show.

Clare said...

Never heard of this book.
Glad you enjoyed the musical and
described it here. Always like a
good read. Have ordered the book
from my library. Thanks

Maybe You'll Enjoy These Too...

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...