8.3.11

Babar The Elephant- Childhood Favorites


Babar is one of my favorite childhood books.  Because I grew up going to a French school I was introduced to the books in their original language and read the series of the Historie De Babar.  I also remember watching the TV series when I was very young although I can’t remember if I watched them in English or French. 
The story is about an elephant who’s mother is killed by hunters so he seeks refuge in a French city in the early 1900’s.  He is adopted by The Old Lady who dresses him in western clothing.  Following the death of the Elephant King (death by poison from a BAD mushroom), Babar returns to the Elephant Kingdom, becomes king and marries his cousin Celeste. Together they have three children Pom, Flora and Alexander.  I love the name Alexander and it is my second monkeys middle name.  Speaking of monkeys, Babar had one of his own, Zephir (another name I love) who played the role of one of his councilors.  

I always thought that Babar was a fair and loyal leader, father and husband.  He was also always very kind to his adopted mother.  Even when his children were naughty he was very level headed.  
The lessons that these stories teach about leadership, friendship and courage are ones that I remember to this day.
Did you read Babar as a child?
Have you introduced these book to your children?

26 comments:

Unknown said...

I love Babar! I have not introduced the book to my children but that's only because I don't have any :) But I would/will!

Pat Tillett said...

I remember it clearly and I'm pretty sure all my kids would say the same...(I hope)

Stephanie said...

I remember reading the books and watching the cartoon.

Mama Gone Green said...

We just brought a Babar book home from the library today!

jeanette from everton terrace said...

I just vaguely remember reading it to my daughter and do not remember reading it as a child. Think I watched it or something. Guess I'll have to remember these for my grandchildren whenever they come along :)

essbesee said...

I am amazed at what I read to my kids now that I never had read to me growing up. Babar, and even Shel Silverstein if you can believe I had never read til I had kids. You just made me think of a post I need to do...

hope you are having a marvelous week! xo, s

nunu said...

i knew babar but don't remember being read the books or being given them to read myself. i love the illustrations and i will introduce him to ez - esp. now with your high praises of character building stories. i've shown him a babar stuffed animal toy here at bebe n kids but he wasn't interested yet... one day i'm sure.

Lady Grey said...

It's so funny because I LOVED Babar books as a child, but I don't remember the actual stories at all.... I was shocked to read Babar was married and a dad... in my memory he was a child!
xo

Andrea @ little buckles said...

Sam loves Babar! I bought him the annual manual the other week from the brocante and a Babar train. The illustrations in the books are great for kids...and adults too!

Bruce Barone said...

Read them to my children all the time!

k said...

I haven't heard of him but I like him!! It sounds like a complicated story, haha :) My favorite was courderoy bear :)

Bossy Betty said...

I LOVED Babar!!! Awww...thanks for all the good memories this brought up!

Faiza said...

what a blast from the past. i read the English books as a child but never really got into the animated series.

A Crimson Kiss said...

Oh, I absolutely ADORED Babar! I have all the books somewhere-I'll have to dig them up before we start having kids!

Amber said...

i was crazy for this elephant, my aunt actually made me a stuffed animal that looked like Babar because I was so obsessed

stop by and enter my giveaway

THE ALTERNATIVE WIFE said...

I love Barbar too!!! And I'm definitely going to introduce my child to it someday :)

Sally Tharpe Rowles said...

Hi Ren, Nice to meet you. Thanks for finding my blog. I am happy to have discovered yours as well.

& yes I love Babar !!

liza said...

Yes. And definitely we have read Babar many times to our son. Love Babar. Isn't the name Celeste so beautiful, too? Funny, I wrote that before I went back and read your comments about the names of the characters. Thank you for commenting on my blog today! Happy to meet you!

and flowers pick themselves said...

i remember reading babar as a child, but i don't remember it sticking. the illustrations are vivid in my mind, but not the story. hm.

xo Alison

Kristin H said...

Oh, I adore Babar! One of my favorite children book characters!!! I even took them to a Babar exhibit in Long Island a while ago...even though they were too young to appreciate it... well I did... haha!
Yes, to reading Babar to them now!

BALLET NEWS said...

One of my faves too !!

;) said...

Souvenirs...

jacqueline said...

Oh my i am a huge fan of babar too!! This brings back so much sweet memories. :) Love to you!

Sarah B. said...

I was introduced to Babar when I was younger and going to school in France!! (what a weird connection we have!). I've always been a fan :)

Heather Taylor said...

I never read about him, but the story sounds so cute. He always looked so dapper!

sheba said...

loved babar as a kid! but you just reminded me that i have yet to introduce him to my son!

Maybe You'll Enjoy These Too...

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...