29.7.10

Beer Cap Art


Dr. J has been drinking and we’ve been encouraging him to drink more.
Can I get you another beer honey pie?
Dad, are you finished yet?
We rarely ask for Dr. J’s help in creating our art but in this case we NEED him. Mostly because I’m a lush and beer gives me a buzz after the first half (I have a much better tolerance for wine and vodka!)

I am passionate about using recycled material to create art and believe this is going to be the next movement in art. The monkeys got a Capster Kit as a Hanukkah gift from The Queen of Creativity. What started off as ‘kit’ art, has now manifested to cutting out paper, gluing found objects and making pins, magnets and play things out of beer caps. They monkeys love to make beer cap art and give them away to friends. They want to start selling them along with their lemonade and are currently building up their stock. When I was little I remember making necklaces after hammering a hole into the cap.
How cool are the airplanes they made using recycled cardboard- they really fly well off the 2nd story landing!

I even enjoy creating beer cap art alone. There is a satisfaction in the limitations of the size of a beer cap that make it less overwhelming. On a day that I have not expanded my creativity I can take out some glue and ‘fill’ the caps as I see fit. When we have company I try and encourage everyone to save their caps- and I've been buying beers with cool caps!

Here are some images of truly spectacular works of art made using beer caps.




Questions to consider while creating:
What materials (medium) are we using to create?
What types of art genres use found objects or recycled objects? (most commonly Assemblage but also Found Art, Junk Art and a fairly new term is Up-cycled Art) 
What textures are used? (Intrinsic to the properties of metal, paper, plastic etc.) 

Do you have any interesting uses for beer caps?

22 comments:

Grace said...

Cool! We have plenty o caps here - I should start saving for crafts.

Our friend used to make bird houses from beer cans and used the caps for decoration - he made some really cool ones.

Getrealmommy said...

Great idea. I don't have any ideas, but I am going to steal yours and make fridge magnets. Love it!

Lady Grey said...

these are great! So creative!
(ps:I'm such a lush too)

Lenore @ Lather. Write. Repeat. said...

My J drinks beer out of cans...I guess I have to figure out another way to make can art! Very cool idea though!

XO
Lenore

Diana Mieczan said...

Those are amazing:) It really looks so cool:) Kisses,sweetie:(
Happy Thursday:)

Bo said...

Love it...I'm heading off to the fridge so can start collecting caps.

Nancy Grossi ~ Churned In Cali ~ The Wife of a Dairyman said...

Well, this puts a different twist on coctail time....maybe I'll switch to beer! Love the art:)

Unknown said...

These are all crazy good fun! My girls have gotten that gift as well, its such a great one! Big hit in our house too!

this free bird said...

k. i don't drink beer any more b/c i'm gluten free now and gf beer is not the same when you come from canada home of the beer.

but anyway your comment on the nail salon and worrying about getting cut made me laugh out loud!!! ahahaha!!

xoxo,
carrie

• • Christine Terrell • • said...

I like to make them into beerings!

http://tinyurl.com/28fkhft

Tayebug said...

Making magnets out of them is a great idea. And what husband doesn't love an excuse for another beer!

Pat Tillett said...

Using my thumb and middle finger in a "snapping" motion, I can "flip" a bottle cap a long ways. But that's about it...
We used to have contests...

Michelle said...

What about hammering them flat? I would hammer them into disks and make bracelets I think... So many possibilities!

Anonymous said...

Great idea!

Bending Birches said...

gasp! this is so cool! I know that I have always enjoying flicking them across the room....and for some reason, I save them in our utensil drawer (?)...maybe this means I am supposed to do something with them.... :)

Sarah said...

That are out of caps is sweet! Love it.

http://wearingitonmysleeves.blogspot.com

momma rae said...

my hubby stopped drinking (it's a good thing), but i noticed that my daughter has been collecting caps from parking lots and such. she has a little stockpile in the side of her booster seat! we should do something fun with them now. thanks for the inspiration! ;)

k said...

those art pictures are crazy, can't believe they are from beer caps. we should be able to make our own art, we sure have enough caps laying around! :)

christina said...

So Fun!! My son has been collecting beer caps for over a year now. Between our parties and my sisters life in College (she gave him a huge jar of them that she collected at school for christmas!) He had tons and still keeps collecting them.

He spelled his name in Beer caps for his 100th day of school last year! He nailed each one in the shape of his letter to a huge wooden board. My husband was horrified that his teacher would thing he was an alcoholic or something ;) It came out awesome, though and is now hung up in his room.

My Little Space said...

I used to collect them when I was a kid but not anymore! Yours look really fantastic. Good job! Have a nice day.
Cheers, kristy

Heather Taylor said...

Uh, the trash? I usually just throw mine away (I don't like the jagged edges). I'm nowhere near as clever as to create pictures out of them!

Gabrielle - Design Mom said...

Bottle cap kit? How cool is that!

Maybe You'll Enjoy These Too...

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...