25.7.11

Organizing Craft And Art Space- Feng Shui Your Craft Space

Making art and nurturing creativity in yourself and others is fundamental to happiness.
I am a huge believer in creating with what you have and using recycled materials to make new things.
Having basic materials and tools is important to the creative process. 
Even spontaneous art requires having an organized platform.    

Here are some ideas I use to organize and Feng Shui our craft space:
1. Less is more- if you don't think you are going to use things, particularly stuff your monkeys have grown out of -or things you have been saving but not using- consider donating them to someone who will.  Don't be afraid to purge- giving new life to materials that you are not using, clears the way for your creative space and may inspire someone else's. 
2. Group like things together- String with string, glue with glue and glitter with glitter.  I also like grouping things with color.
3. Consolidate- As long as you have fundamental tools and material out- you can get started.  Keep extra materials or tools put away and remember what you have where. We have huge storage containers in the garage where we keep extra toilet paper rolls, fruit bag netting, jars, non- chemical spray bottles, flattened boxes, etc. 
4. This brings me to labels and lists- everything that you can't see easily- stick a label on it.
5. Finally make sure you have the basics.  If you are just starting out, make a list and go to craft stores when they have sales to get things like glue guns, fabric/glass paints, paint brushes etc. at 50% off.
I have a peg board in my office and make it my responsibility to keep it organized and stocked.
It is easy to see what we have and because it is in 'my' space- it is understood that these materials are to be used with permission.  
As monkeys get older they need less supervision but I like to know when fabric paint is being used and for what! 
I keep 'craft kits' in the monkeys rooms with scissors, water based paint, glue, coloring tools and papers.

We added these recycled cans to our craft corner peg board to hold some writing and painting tools
We painted them:
and then used clips and hooks to get them to hang on the board:
they worked out perfectly.



I like to keep some extra supplies in jars so it is easy to see-
I have this fold up table in my office beside my computer desk:
I try to keep it clear! To make it easier I make space for my sewing machine and unfinished craft projects on shelves in the office closet.  If everything has its place it is more likely to end up put away.

How do you manage/organize your art and craft supplies? 

28 comments:

Clair said...

This is really neat, and I bet your boys enjoyed setting it up.
Great job!

liza said...

Wow. Great advice and descriptive photos. I'm not even telling what ours looks like now. I will aspire to this!

Pat Tillett said...

I totally admire how organized and creative you are. I strive to be, but I never seem to be able to get there.

Sara said...

Good job on the peg board and organization! We have two shelves side by side, which contain art supplies that are stored in various containers; food containers, tin tea containers (my favourite) and other boxes (cigar boxes, tin boxes) I have collected. But right now they are up in a room that is not used so often so the supplies are also not used. I agree if the supplies are in view it promotes creativity. And when organized, easy to get at and not overwhelming

Hannah {Culture Connoisseur} said...

Love the paint bucket idea!

How do I organize? I have all my art supplies stuffed into a box in a disorganized fashion.... :-/

Unknown said...

this is awesome! what a great job! I need to Feng Shui several rooms in my house...

Faiza said...

your space is wonderful. not only is it organized but it is inspiring as well!

Mama Gone Green said...

wow! want to come organize my craft shelves in the garage?

Jen of MadeByGirl said...

good job! I bet it feels so much better!....I love organizing my office space, helps me think clearer.

Birk 'n' Socks said...

FAAAAAAABULOUS! Now, on to my organizing :).

rockinkez said...

wish i had a craft space like that! mine has dwindled over the years and there is so much i'd like that i now don't know where to start!

A Crimson Kiss said...

What a wonderfully organized space, and those cans are so darling! The color is perfect!

erleichda said...

such good ideas! some of them are already adopted : )

David Toms said...

Not only is it all very practical, but it looks good also. As much as I try and get organised, the main man puts me two steps back for every step forward I take. I consolidate, which he sees as a sign to buy more!

Nikki said...

Love the cans! Now I want to paint some. I have no craft supplies ;)

Barbara von Enger said...

Ah, am sure your boys enjoyed giving you a helping hand at this. So organised and well sorted. I adore the use of the cans. I ought to get more organised;-)

Anonymous said...

You're a genius! If I show this to my kids they'll leave home immediately and come live with you ;-)

Drew {Coral Cafe} said...

I need to start organizing my art supplies like this!
I would definitely stay cleaner and more organized!

v o j a c q u e said...

i've been meaning to organize my crafting tools -- thanks for sparking some ideas! :)

Fasshionxenophile said...

Thanks for the great ideas... ^^ I really need it for organizing kids' stuff...

cpcable said...

Love the practical suggestions. Your craft space would make me inspired to do some making!

April's Homemaking said...

What an amazing craft space!! I love seeing how people organize their crafting areas. Very fun!! ~April

Alisa said...

Looks great!!

Marilyn said...

This is so neat..Love it..What an awesome blog,,Im officially following ya with smiles.. Found ya on linky and had to stop in.. So much creativity dwells here.. Im Marilyn via http://theartsygirlconnection.blogspot.com ..Hope you can stop in sometime..TY

Brooke said...

I love the pegboard, I want to do something like this so bad. But I'm afraid my little monkeys will get into things they really shouldn't without my permission because that's the kind of monkeys I've got ; ) thanks for sharing this on Monday Madness, you are truly an inspiration!

Laura said...

so many great ideas here. I am going to come back to this many times in my future.

Unknown said...

Oh my gosh I want this kind of organization in my room!! Saves a load of space and keeps things nicely together and so colorful! Great for small rooms I reckon! :D Thanks for sharing!!

Unknown said...

Organizing your items, be it your crafts space or just a simple corner of the room with clutter involves some sort of planning of space. Some people take it lightly, but if it is not carefully planned, you will end up not maximizing the space. Apart from grouping the same items together and according to how the activity flow should be in the space, it also involves buying the appropriate storage for your items. Otherwise, you will waste energy when you want to locate your items for use.

Maybe You'll Enjoy These Too...

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...