Queso Blanco is a very easy ‘do it yourself’ cheese. In fact you almost certainly have all the ingredients at home already. This cheese is best eaten fresh so you can make it to enjoy the same day. Queso Blanco does not melt and is perfect for deep-frying or grilling. Today I made it using jalapeño but this semi-hard cheese can be mixed in with any fresh herbs or spices to add flavor to an otherwise mild cheese.
This recipe yields about 1/3 cup of cheese but is easily multiplied using the same technique.
2 cups of milk (I used Skim)
4 tsp of white vinegar
1. Heat the milk to 175 for about 15 minutes
2. Add vinegar slowly in to the hot milk and stir for 5 minutes
3. Allow to cool and strain whey by filtering through a cheesecloth lined colander
4. Work in salt and whatever else you are adding to the curds
5. Mold the cheese using the cheese cloth (ball or patty)
6. Let sit in the fridge until ready to enjoy