17.5.10

Pho Vietnames Soup



I love Asian food and especially like spicy Asian dishes. One of my favorite meals is Pho.
Pho, (I pronounce it ‘FA’) is a Vietnamese dish with Chinese and French influences. Originally from Northern Vietnam it started off as a beef broth with rice noodles. Now days chicken, seafood and vegetarian Pho are common on any menu which serves these bowls. Also noodles vary from rice or egg and thick or thin.
The broth is made by simmering beef (and or chicken and seafood), onions and spices. Seasoning may include cinnamon, star anise, ginger, coriander, fennel seed and clove.
Typical of Vietnamese dishes Pho is served with a plate of garnishes including lots of herbs especially mint, cilantro and Thai basil as well as bean sprouts, and limes.

Dr. J who likes things hotter than hot also adds lots of Sriracha sauce- I add a dash and some soy sauce too.
Common for any of the beef Pho's the meat is served lightly browned (read pretty raw) and needs to be stirred into the broth to ‘cook’ it.

We hosted a Pho dinner party about a year ago and it was a great hit. As with a make your own Sushi or Fondue party, interactive food is always a fun experience.

11 comments:

Bo said...

Yum...I totally agree with you about the interactive food...a fondue pot or a hibachi grill make a great party.

essbesee said...

A Pho dinner party?!?!!
Why don't you live closer so I can invite myself over all the time?

Cashon&Co said...

YUM! That looks so incredibly delicious! I eat Asian almost every meal and this I have not really had. Okay, now I'm going Vietnamese!

3 hungry tummies said...

A bowl of pho is always so comforting. We love having laksa and hotpot party too!

Dani said...

That looks amazing.

Yum.

Mia said...

Mmmmmmmm. I can almost smell it from here. All that fresh goodness.....better go get something to eat.. now!

Tricia said...

You are a woman after my own heart! I love Pho too--while in Victoria, we wandered off and asked some locals for their favorite restaurant. We ended up at a tiny, dark, family owned Pho shop that was spectacular :).

Lovely World said...

Hello! This looks soup looks good. Just starting to catch up on blog reading, after the weekend away. As always, I appreciate your interesting insights into movies and art.

drollgirl said...

I LOVE PHO! i tried it for the first time a couple of years ago, and now every time i see a pho restaurant i want to stop and get me some!

Aunt Juicebox said...

Yum! I love love love food pics.

Lilouka pour JojO said...

Merci pour ta visite ,
va jeter un oeil au site soupsoup.fr

Maybe You'll Enjoy These Too...

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...