14.7.11

Human Planet - BBC Earth


We just finished watching the Human Planet series over several family movie nights.
All four of us really enjoyed these well documented, educational and interesting shows.
This series captures the lives of humans around the world.  It covers people who live in and among: Oceans, Deserts, Arctic, Jungles, Mountains, Grasslands, Rivers and Cities. 
I asked my oldest monkey what were his favorite parts, this is what he came up with: 
In the Mountains show there is a family that has to travel six days through the ice and snow of the Himalayas to get to school.  In the Grassland's there is a tribe in Africa that has to protect their grain from monkeys but they can't kill them because they live on the edge of a National Park and anyone caught killing one of the protected monkey would be sentenced to seven years in jail.  In the Jungles video the people capture humongous bats and then eat them, even the wings.  In the Rivers one a man crosses rivers that are stronger than Niagara Falls to catch fish for his family.  
My youngest monkey wrote:  
I like the Rivers one the best and liked the Cities one with the cockroaches and rats (which I could not watch).  I like the Arctic episode where they caught the narwhals and whale.  I liked when the kids ate the tarantula.

What I liked most about this series is that there were so many glimpses into the way that others live, survive, make-do and flourish that I had never heard of.  The traditions and customs of people in remote locations were fascinating to watch and learn about.  The footage is award winning and nothing short of amazing.

Have you seen any of the Human Plant shows? 

15 comments:

Andrea @ little buckles said...

I love BBC documentaries. It's the channel that we watch the most. I've seen the one where it takes 6 days to reach school risking life and limbs. Great for our kids to see :)

Ninjagaiden78 said...

I would like to check that out.

windowshopz.com

k said...

ok, that sounds like an awesome series, I wish I had the motivation to search out shows like these and watch them!

drollgirl said...

i have not! but i would love to!

Jacqui said...

I saw some of them when they were screened on the Beeb. The Arctic one was my favourite- being closer to home, but the river one was pretty amazing. James liked the man crossing the river, and the children trekking to school. There is a series of short films for very young children, called Little Human Planet, which features some of the children from the big series. xx

Mama Gone Green said...

looks amazing-- i will add it to neflix. thanks!

A Crimson Kiss said...

How have I not heard about this documentary series? It looks amazing!

Phoenix said...

This sounds fantastic! I love all the BBC Earth dvd's, so I'll have to check this one out next. (and I love the little reviews your kids did, so cute!)

jeanette from everton terrace said...

I have not but now I absolutely must. These are the kinds of things my husband and I love to watch.

David Toms said...

This was such a brilliant series. I love how candid your children are!

Lady Grey said...

I'm glad to hear this review. I think I might order this from amazon.... now that we're living so far up north, I have a feeling we might be watching more television ; )

heather said...

what amazing pictures! i am definitely looking into this!

Clair said...

Your boys reviews of this documentary have intrigued me. I have put my order in for the DVD at my local library.
Clair

Megan said...

holy cow! that dude going across the water! going to check these out!

Reina said...

I havent, but they look like a wonderful look into the world many of us dont know about. ANd oh LORDEEEE i could never ever eat a tarantula. not for my life

Maybe You'll Enjoy These Too...

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...