31.8.10

Retro Vegas



I love second hand furniture.  When we lived in Toronto and Detroit I furnished our homes with many a curb side finds.  Presently, I am into discovering more about past and present designers and appreciating elements of their styles and design.  I still love previously loved pieces. 
I am all about 'using what you've got' or in this case using what has already been made.
I took these photos while shopping with my friend M.





I really appreciate the style of this sofa set that has a rope backing.  Similar to Percival Lafer's sofa design where he used leather straps to hold the cushions together.  This piece also hails from Brazil and is made with dark teak.  The pineapple serving set, on the coffee table, is originally from Hawaii- the top leaves are removable and may be used as serving spoons.


All three of these chairs are designed by Vladimir Kagan- a German born furniture designer who emigrated to the US in the late 1930's. The white/cream colored set was amazing and swivelled.  The dark purple chair rocked- They were all very comfortable.
I fell in love with these end tables.  I love the two tiered look and as you can see in the second photo the wood detail on the side is an amazing bird or leaf like design.  Unfortunately I am not one for symmetry, especially in the family room where I was looking to fill a space- the tables are being sold as a set. 
Love this coffee table- wish it was silver- wonder if it would be hard to re-paint?!
This was very hard to photograph- but this kitchen set is pink, Barbie pink. 
So retro and so cool- to look at- but I'll take my stainless steel-
All metal- made to last.
Loved this peacock chandelier- so elegant and modern.
The tails are made of glass and if only it was not, gold.
(Obviously not a great photo but that wall clock in the background was amazingly detailed teak.)
glass and ice bucket set
A few more things I liked-
Do you like retro ?

26 comments:

jeanette from everton terrace said...

I adore retro. Mid-century modern is my current favorite lust. That peacock lamp is gorgeous and how fun would the pineapple serving platter be - just pull out the spoons, gotta love that!

Lulu said...

I semi-like retro. I do like the round glass coffee table(s), very cool; and the barbie pink kitchen, I would love that!!

Claire Kiefer said...

I looooove all that color! Funny you say "wish it were silver" about the table--I always think "wish it were gold" about silver things, ha! And the peacock chandelier, amazing!

Mary Bergfeld said...

I'm more of a mid century modern gal and I don't think that's considered retro - yet. I love the Eames and Corbusiers chairs and others produced during that period. I love the elements you selected to share with us today, though the pink kitchen was over the top. Have a great evening. Blessings...Mary.

Andrea @ little buckles said...

This is my heaven! I love that yellow light :)

shopgirl said...

Cool items. It's so much fun to shop and peruse through items that have really lived. What stories they would tell. I love retro ovens and refrigerators or anything to do with the kitchen.

Wishing you a wonderful day!

k said...

that coffee table has to be my favorite - how cool!

Jude said...

Wow, is this the same place - what a fantastic treasure trove! I love re-using things - that pink kitchen and Hawaiian pineapple serving piece caught my eye :)

Julia, the Thanksgiving Girl said...

I really like the blue sofa and especially that chair with a an ottoman!!!

msihua said...

Ooooo... where is the pink retro fridge? I love those chairs! Sigh...

Thanks for writing up such a lovely comment for me! I don't deserve it.. I write atrociously and have become increasingly worse with my grammatical errors... I'm too lazy to correct it =)

mermaid gallery said...

I am starting to love retro...since i grew up with this look, ( the 50's ) it has taken me awhile to call it retro and not just old fashioned. We had those end tables and many a fancy bar set too.

Lenore @ Lather. Write. Repeat. said...

Um, yes I do!! Great pics, thanks for the background on some of the pieces. I wish I had a mansion so I could buy every lovely piece of secondhand furniture I find.....one day!

XO
Lenore

Clair said...

Yes I do. Your finds are amazing!
Really liked the peacock chandelier.
Clair

LenoreNeverM♡re said...

I sure do!!!
I got my Hans Wagner chair from Ebay!
lurrrve it!

xo

Unknown said...

wow these are great finds!!! I am not so retro mysef but I love the chairs, definitely love them. xo!

Gabbi said...

I love the retro look also and that Glass and Bucket set is gorgeously cool. Imagine fixing on drink with that beauty... fun!

drollgirl said...

i love the idea of second hand stuff! it is the ultimate in recycling!

that being said, it can take a lot of time and effort (and sometimes money!!!) to find the right "old" stuff, but it is worth it!

i like the retro stuff. i like much of the current stuff, too. and it is fun to mix it up!

Anonymous said...

That glass and ice bucket set is so cool! Can you imagine having a pink kitchen?! haha you thought the accessorize passport holder was bad enough for your husband but a pink kitchen...! :-D

Anonymous said...

My life is retro, vintage, kitchsy.
The styles you are showing were sophisticated in their day. Bring back memories of Dean Martin, Frank Sinatra, Rat Pack, things my parents watched on tv.
I agree with not being totally symmetrical. And much prefer curves to straight lines.

essbesee said...

that purple chair does indeed ROCK. hawtness. love the end tables, too. And yes, hell yes, I love retro.

Mia said...

Oh, yeah! Those pictures are like an aladdins cave to me. I would've bought those little side tables for sure. Maybe you could split them between rooms?

Valarie said...

Hi Ren,
Nice collection of retro you have going there. I have to tell you that I use to not like retro and then my best friend Suzy is a retro junky. So much so that she's opened a store here. After 15 years of hanging out together I can see that she is beginning to influence me. So I think I'll just say that I'm still exploring retro. ;) Be well.

Tiffany Kadani said...

I do like retro a lot. And I love metal- you're right: they were made to last.

Dani said...

Drool.

Drool.

Drool.

Yes. I like retro.

Reina said...

oh my lordie i love all of these pieces!
especialy that chandelier

Metropolitan Mum said...

You would so love Portobello Market in Notting Hill. Or do you know it already? Love the coffee table with the three glass thingies.

Maybe You'll Enjoy These Too...

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...