11.8.10

Sad, Mad, Glad- Film Reviews


I have been watching an abundance of films. I thought I might knock off three reviews at a time under the categories of how they made me feel- sad, mad and glad.
Having children does not make you a parent. The selfishness of the protagonist Diane, in Trucker is sad. Diane abandoned her son Peter as a baby to pursue an unglamorous career as a trucker. Chasing a fleeting lifestyle she feels she missed out on by getting married young, Diana fights to keep her independence by going out, drinking and sleeping around. When Peter’s devoted father, who has provided a loving and stable home, is no longer able to care for him, Diane is forced to hit the road with Peter in tow. Peter’s desperate desire to not be in his mother’s life, while simultaneously wanting to be a priority to her, is sad to watch. The films cinematography is excellent. Writer/director James Mottern does a great job of delving into the beautiful and ugly of human generosity and selfishness, while minimizing dialogue and allow the peeled layers to speak for themselves.

Fuel is a documentary by Josh Tickell that examines US dependence on foreign oil. Are you sick of this yet? Well screw you if you are sick of hearing about it and I hope someone keys your Hummer.  I am mad because it is so frustrating how despite the obvious, so many American’s are choosing to turn a blind eye and think that this problem will go away on its own. I am mad at people who think this war is not about oil.  Mr. Tickell is a great proponent for biodiesel fuel and has made it his life mission to educate the public about the benefits of converting diesel engines into veggie oil  run engines. This movie is well produced and does a good job of exposing the issues that led us to be dependant on a natural resource which we have little access to, while offering alternatives to the problem. This film came out prior to the BP oil spill and although it would have been reflected upon in the film- I believe it is even more relevant now in light of the present crisis.

John Kasinski wrote the script, directed and played a major roll in Brief Interviews with Hideous Men, based on the short stories written by David Foster Wallace. I am glad he made this film, I am glad he is in this film and I am glad I watched it.  The film is about a PhD candidate, Sara Quinn, gathering research for her dissertation regarding human sexuality. Over the course of the film she interviews several men who give her candid glimpses into how they feel about sex and women. What is stimulating about this film is the use of Shakespearean theatrical techniques such as omnipotent asides and the seamless transitions between past and present.  The element that people are never who they seem is hinted by the nature of the story- Mr. Kasinski takes the viewer a few steps deeper creating assholes out of angels, dissecting fantasies and reflecting on men’s innermost aspects of functionality within sexuality.
Do you think he is cute?

24 comments:

Lenore @ Lather. Write. Repeat. said...

Yes to cute! Thanks for the recommendations, I hadn't actually heard of any of these but now I have some flicks to add to my 'to see' list!

XO
Lenore

essbesee said...

I had Trucker on the queue and glad I didn't watch, don't think I could take it. And yes, he's cute. I knew I was leaving someone off of my I heart big Schnozolas list...

jeanette from everton terrace said...

Now I'm very torn about Trucker. I am a huge Nathan Fillion fan but from you've said, I'm not sure I could handle it. Will put it in my queue and think about it. I don't think Kasinski's looks are overly cute be he seems adorable anyway.

and flowers pick themselves said...

i have a mad crush on john krasinski. he is one of my all time favorite people on this planet. beyond adorable + talented.

:)

xo Alison

k said...

brief interviews with hideous men seriously sounds like a movie i would love, i even love the title! i hate that i can't get netflix in switzerland!

heather said...

Ooh! I love movie reviews and new movie recommendations! And am in absolute agreement with you about the fuel. And how crazy (north) Americans are to complain about gas being expensive! Everywhere else sells by liters, and fuel is so so so sosososososo much more expensive than it is in the States, even when it's 4 bucks a gallon!

this free bird said...

i don't find krasinski appealing upon first glance, but then i watch him in something and i love him.

have you seen away we go?

he makes me love him. he just does it.

xoxo,
carrie

Unknown said...

Hello Milady !

I think I'm gonna try this "Trucker", I really like the two actors and the story seems to be unusual.

See U !

mermaid gallery said...

He looks a lot like my son , so, yes he is adorable. Trucker sounds too real and sad. The flick about oil d is relevant to our times and we all need to hear it time and time again...so we will finally learn....

Naomi@DesignManifest said...

I never watch films. I dont know why that is. But reading this review makes me want to check all of them out. Especially the oil one and john krasinki one. He's on my loveable dork list fo' sho.

;) said...

Three movies I have to see now !!!

Thanks

Clair said...

Because of your reviews I already have an intense dislike for Diane-
Fuel is a must see- and as for those hideous men interviews- if I were their interviewer I am sure I would develop an intense desire to smack each one (after the interview, of course) and tell them to grow up and get a life.
Your reviews are Great!

Unknown said...

Loved reading your reviews! You write so beautifully, you should be doing this for the NY Times! The last movie sounds like something I would love...the first sounds like it would depress me, the second, enrage me...and of course its about oil! Thanks for these, thoroughly enjoyed it! (and the blog header is great!)

Julia, the Thanksgiving Girl said...

The first story seems so real, I love that!

SpryOnTheWall said...

Yep, he's a cutie!

Metropolitan Mum said...

Hi there,
Thanks for stopping by at my blog, I love yours, too! I am not going out to the movies much at the moment, but fortunately I am the owner and vivid used of Apple TV - I'll have to look for your recommendations.
MMx
PS: Nope, not cute. Not at all.

Mary Bergfeld said...

I love your reviews. I have now added two movies to my must do list. He's maybe kinda' cute, but not really so much. I hope you are having a wonderful day. Blessings...Mary

LOLA FINN said...

Thank you :)

Phoenix said...

I adore Nathan Fillion so I might just check out "Trucker" for him. Then again, maybe it would just depress me. I laughed out loud at your "Well screw you" line in your "Fuel" review because it's so true - people whining about how they've heard it so much about the environment, why can't everyone just calm down and I kinda want to smack them. HARD.

Great reviews - very thoughtful.

Rita said...

I do think John is cute:D haven't seen these movies,I'll try to find them in the area.Thanks for recommendations:)
have a wonderful weekend!

Lady Grey said...

Oh I like hearing your reviews... I've been meaning to rent Fuel, and I think I finally will now.
oxo

Lovely World said...

I have got to see more movies. I end up watching the movies that the kids rent from the library. Most are ages old and I have seen them too many times. I need some grown-up flicks! Thanks for the recommendations.

Valarie said...

Thanks for the recommendations. Like you I love movies and these are going on my list. That guy is so darn cute. Thanks for sharing him with us. Have a great weekend.

Mama Gone Green said...

thanks for the tips!!

Maybe You'll Enjoy These Too...

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...