15.1.11

Film: Mine - Floods And Pets


Mine is a Film Movement independent film about the plight of Hurricane Katrina victims separated from their pets. Many evacuees were unable to take their pets with them when New Orleans declared mandatory evacuations. Shelters, including the infamous Super Dome, did not allow pets. Many city residences fled cramming all available space in their vehicles with family, friends and neighbors; making the agonizing decision to leave their pets behind, with food and water, for what they hoped would be a short time period. As we now know, the levees broke and residents were unable to return to their homes, in what had been declared a disaster area. Rescue workers and volunteer from around the US and Canada came to assist in the efforts to rescue as many pets as possible. Using boats and wadding through flooded neighborhoods and homes- pets were rescued through windows and by cutting holes through roofs. Dogs and cats were then shipped around the US to shelters and foster homes. What ensued in the chaos and confusion was the adopting out of many pets to new homes- despite their owners desperately still trying to find them.
Directed by Geralyn Pezanoski this film examines basic human compassion and injustice.
In light of the floods presently ravaging parts of Australia and Brazil I think there is much that can be learned in terms of dealing with desperate situations and seeking justice for two legged and four legged victims.

Check out other films I've reviewed

13 comments:

Claire Kiefer said...

I don't know if I could handle this film. :( I lived in New Orleans for four years (I went to Tulane) and love the city so much--I left two years before the hurricane but it's still so sad to examine all the devastation . . . and it's somehow even sadder when it involves animals. However, I do want to recommend Zeitoun by Dave Eggers--if you haven't read it, it's the nonfiction story of Abdulrahman Zeitoun and his family (wife Kathy and their three kids)--Kathy evacuated with the kids while her husband stayed in New Orleans and sailed a kayak around the city helping to rescue people and bring water . . . until he was unlawfully detained. Such a compelling story (and I got to meet Kathy Zeitoun in New Orleans this fall--she's an incredible woman)!

Rita said...

oh dear, I think it's the kind of movie during which you cry..it's so sad..good that someone thought about rescuing pets after huricane..
hugs
Just

Pat Tillett said...

Wow! Just the way I'm feeling reading this, is a pretty good indication that I would be thrashed by watching the film. The fact that people cared enough to do what they did for the pets, is AMAZING!

Ninjagaiden78 said...

This sounds like a good documentary.
I don't think we can have enough documentaries about Katrina.

windowshopz.com

Mama Gone Green said...

I can't wait to watch this.... hearing about all of the lost pets after Katrina made me so sad.... almost enough to take some in (if we didn't already have a house full!).

Justine said...

I think I would cry through the whole thing it would be so heart wrenching but what a fantastic idea.

Julia, the Thanksgiving Girl said...

Such a touchign and interesting topic for a movie, an a not so usual one too!

Julia, the Thanksgiving Girl said...

P.S. Btw, is it a coinsidences that you wnated to get your kids to write thank you notes this weekend and I happened to post the tips? I like coinsidences!! :) Hope the tips Cat Wagman shared are helpful :)

Gabbi said...

It's very much in my Netflx queue now! Thank you for the review!

Anonymous said...

Claire- thanks for recommending Zeitoun. I've just ordered it from my library. Felicity

and flowers pick themselves said...

think i would have to be in a very specific mood to watch this. great review!

xo Alison

Renee said...

A few months ago I watched a documentary on tv about this and it's so sad. So sad people aren't allowed to take their pets with them, for me they are the same as family.

k said...

I'm sure I would cry, I can't handle sad things about pets!!

Maybe You'll Enjoy These Too...

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...