7.1.11

No Knead Bread

I used to make a loaf of Challah Bread every Friday.  Somehow I was able to fit in the mixing and rise times in between nursery school and two monkey nap times.  I stopped doing it when they stopped napping and even though they are both in school now I have not picked up the habit again.  After reading Bruce's posts on no knead bread I figured this would be an easy way to ease myself back into making bread at home again.
I took Jim Lahey's  book My Bread out of the library and it has great step by step photo instructions:

I experimented with the rise times, yeast amounts, water amounts and pots to bake in.  What I came up with gets the seal of approval from both Monkeys and Dr. J- I made a loaf adding sunflower seeds and flax seeds- this one was the biggest hit as we all like grainy breads.  This is a really affordable and pretty forgiving recipe to make bread.  The best part is that the main ingredients are flour and water so the 'lessons' of trial and error are not expensive.

To Make:
Mix 3 cups of all purpose flour
1/2 teaspoon of yeast
1 1/2 teaspoon of salt
1 5/8 warm water
Let six overnight with plastic cover (at least for 12 hours)

It will be sticky after mixing everything together


It should have little air holes on top after 12 hours

Take it out fold it over and let rest for 15 minutes with cover

For the final rise put it in a bowl with a flour covered tea towel (not terry cloth) and let sit for two hours-
Then dump it into a pot (I sprayed mine with olive oil) and let bake for 30 minutes with a lid at 450 and then take the lid off and bake for another 20-30 minutes.

I found that the 'quick rise' bread came out much flatter than the regular over night rise.

The 'quick' version of this bread adds half a teaspoon of red wine vinegar and using HOT instead of warm water- don't plan to make it again.
Furthermore you don't need a special pot- I used my stew pot with a metal lid.

Check out my 'how to' video- 



Do you make bread at home?

24 comments:

Unknown said...

i've made regular bready - last weekend tho i made homemade banana bread - my family is BIG on "from scratch" food!

jeanette from everton terrace said...

That sounds (and looks) so good. I miss good bread since finding out about my gluten intolerance, boy do I miss it. I'm going to forward this on to my daughter, also what a lovely and thoughtful hostess gift.

essbesee said...

that looks really yummy and i am flattered you think i could make it. i am not sure you understand how badly i cook. i may try this one for you. i did make some banana bread (from a mix, with additions) yesterday that was scrumptious.

Mama Gone Green said...

I love making no-knead bread. So easy!

Unknown said...

Yummy! We've picked up the baking bread at home habit and it's really paying off. We've become sourdough masters in a short time thanks to our friend supplying us with an ancient starter. It's fun to make it yourself as long as you have the patience for it! Have a great weekend!

Pat Tillett said...

I don't make it, but I sure eat when somebody else does!
YUM!

Julia, the Thanksgiving Girl said...

Lady Ren, I'm loving the new layout!! Just checked out your about section too (was it there before? I don't feel like I've ever spotted it previosuly, humm), and wow, have you lived places!!

As for the homemade bread, it's seemingly a simple food, but what a luxury when it's homemade!! I've never tried bakign it myself, although have found once and still keep a nice banana bread recipe - hope to finally try it soon!

Rita said...

wow! I baked a bread only once and..I was thinking about it lately because my grandma makes this real sourdough bread..hmm..next time I meet her I'll ask her to give me a recipe:) and her sourdough to have at home:)your bread looks delicious!
have a nice weekend Ren!
Just

Kelly Casanova said...

I borrowed this book from the library and my bread was fabulous! I may have to buy the book...

A Crimson Kiss said...

I can't resist freshly baked bread-my cousin makes an incredible three day bread (which is sometimes almost 4) and it's the most irresistible snack on Earth! Thank you for sharing the recipe!

k said...

I need to look in to making my own bread, we are buying it all the time! At least it's not expensive. and you changed your header, nice!

nunu said...

gosh that looks great. now i just sent our counter top oven home with my dad. we don't have an oven in our place here. i would like to try this when we return. i love making my own bread.

Nancy Grossi ~ Churned In Cali ~ The Wife of a Dairyman said...

oooo, a nice slice of freshly baked bread with a little butter....yum!

Grace said...

I used to make all our bread. But once food allergy became part of our lives, I decided to simplify. Baking bread went to the wayside. Maybe I'm ready to try again -

stephanie said...

I love no knead bread! I really want to get a smaller diameter dutch oven (or heavy covered dish) to get the loaves taller. I like tall loaves of bread. :)

Have a great weekend!

naomuack said...

woo, fantastic post and i will try it soon ! thanks :D

rockinkez said...

making bread at home is something i've never attempted (i always think its too difficult for my baking capabilities!) but its something i would definitely like to try...

sheba said...

the smell of freshly baked bread is one of my favourites! challah brings back fond memories of school day lunches...i would only eat challah sandwiches, so that's what my dad made me every.single.day!

Gabbi said...

Looks so good Ren! I've never tried making bread before, it's a little daunting, but you make it seem easy. Will definitely have to give this one a go!

The Breakfast Lover said...

I love home made bread!

Lady Grey said...

I'm bookmarking this! It looks so good : )
I wish I took the time to bake bread more often... there is something so wholesome and soulful about it.
oxo

Jenny N said...

I've made this- it is AMAZING when it works. I've only had it fail once.

Yours is a bit more flat than mine normally are, there's so many variables as to why!

Not to link spam, but I make bread all the time! Here's a entry about my sourdough starter: http://jennyinohio.blogspot.com/2010/12/my-sourdough-starter.html

essbesee said...

alright - you've convinced me. i'm making it. will let you know how it goes. cross your fingers for me.

Shari said...

What a coincidence. I was just thinking about you and making bread this morning before getting on the computer. Rosemary bread is my favorite. I will give it a try this week, and will get one of the other 2 copies from the library today while I'm there.

Maybe You'll Enjoy These Too...

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...