2.1.10

Avatar


I have to preface this review by stating that I do not generally watch block buster films. Furthermore, I do not like watching 3D movies as I have convinced myself that they hurt my eyes.
I went to see Avatar because Dr. J said the monkeys would like it. When I found out it is 163 minutes long and rated PG-13 I was resigned to several restroom visits and questions during it’s run.
The film (in 3D) was simply the most amazing movie I have ever seen. I cannot imagine not seeing it in 3D as this film, above all others, was made to be seen and appreciated in this style.
Now the story line was amazing although not original. The most obvious comparisons are Dune, Dances with Wolves and The Last Samurai or according to my friend R. Man Called Horse and Little Man (which I have not seen). In short it is the classic tale of switching loyalties and falling in love with the ‘other’.
This story is inundated with Jungian theory. There are the classic Jungian Archetypes, the identification of the ego, personal unconscious and collective unconscious. The Jungian mythology based in the analysis of dreams, especially lucid dreams is essentially what the protagonist Jake Sully experiences when his two worlds commingle.

The indigenous people of the moon of Pandora are referred to as the Na’Vi and are a peaceful loving group. They are intrinsically naturally harmonious and spiritual beings. Capable of joining and feeling other beings they are prone to express “I see you” to encompass what we understand as love and connection.

In context to our world this movie has a strong anti war message. Set in the year 2154 the conflict involves U.S. Armed Forces aggressively seeking to destroy all that is essential to the spiritual well being of the Na’Vi.  This is done to satiate their desire to harvest the source of minerals inherent to Pandora which people on planet Earth value highly.

Avatar was a movie ten years in the making with a 300 million dollar budget. I didn’t realize that I was waiting for it but it was certainly worth the wait. I am optimistic that the themes in the film are well received and understood in the context that I believe James Cameron intended them. I am happy to say that we did not take a single restroom break. Finally, I look forward to seeing James Cameron win another Oscar.

No comments:

Maybe You'll Enjoy These Too...

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...