27.1.10

Bhagavad Gita: A New Translation by Ranchor Prime



I stumbled upon Ranchor Prime's work unsuspectingly while perusing the religious section of my local library. I was drawn to his book by the beautiful photographs and only then did I register ‘oh this is the Bhagavad Gita’ the spiritual text of Hinduism. I have always wanted to read it but to date intentions, had not gotten me far. I borrowed the book determined to read it from the first page onwards and no skimming.

This book is amazing and most importantly so easy to understand. Mr. Prime provides a translation of the original Sanskrit along with commentary. I read it nightly and each section I read was relevant to my day and life in general. I used it as a guide to seek understanding of my daily obstacles. In relation to issues with my children, hurtful words that have been spoken or as an answer to ‘should I or should I not’. Each part that I read gave me clarity. This morning after an unpleasant encounter with one of my monkeys’ teachers, I found myself focusing on the real issue (what can I do to help my monkey) and not letting things eat away at me (how could she say that about my monkey) essentially staying mindful and letting go. The lessons in the Bhagavad Gita are universal; they are about love, knowledge, wisdom, mindfulness and they are told lyrically in this beautiful translation of ancient text.

Here is one (of many) quotes that I have written down from Mr. Prime’s translation:


Anger produces illusion, and from illusion comes forgetfulness. Forgetfulness brings loss of intelligence, and when intelligence is lost one falls down again into the whirlpool of material existence.

Here is a link to Mr. Prime’s website:
http://ranchorprime.googlepages.com/home

2 comments:

Zèbre bleu said...

I am writing down that quote too. Thanks for the reading suggestion, I think I'll go get myself a copy of the book!

A Green Spell said...

Beautiful post! You know, I haven't read the Bhag. Gita in ten years! I need to go back and read it again!!

As for the links, all you need to do is go back to your post editor, and add a link back to the Coil page at the bottom of your post. For instance, you could say, "This post is participating in The Coil at A Green Spell." And then link that to this URL: http://agreenspell.com/2010/04/13/the-coil-april-14-2010-the-cauldron-beneath-my-mat/

That way, when people read your post, they can click back to The Coil and read other people's entries, as well.

Thank you so much for participating! I'm so appreciative!

Maybe You'll Enjoy These Too...

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...