30.1.10

Pin-Up Girl Art



I know that there are those that are mildly obsessed with pin-up girl art. I am not one of those people. I think they are really cool but not on my short list of favorites. Nontheless, I realized that I did not known any pin-up girl artist by name and thought I should remedy that.


Gil Elgren (March 15, 1914 – February 29, 1980) was an American painter and illustrator. He was also probably the most influencial pin-up glamor artist of his time. He studied at the American Academy of Art and was a master of portraying the feminine form. Some of his large comercial contracts were with Coca-Cola, General Electrip and Sealy Mattress. He was also featured often in The Saturday Evening Post and Good Housekeeping.

Joyce Ballantyne (April 4, 1918 – May 15, 2006) is a female pin-up girl artisit who also studied at the American Academy of Art. She is best known for her illustration of the Coppertone girl, dog pulling swimsuit picture. Ms. Ballantyne worked with Gil Elgren and was recommended by him to work for Brown and Bigelow, which launched her career. She eventually moved into the realm of portraits and fine art, painting the portraits of entertainment and sports personalities as well as from the business, social, and academic worlds.

There are some really cool contemporary pin-up girl artists which I will promote once I get permission to feature their work.

1 comment:

A Full-Timed Housefly said...

Oh I love these pin up posters unfortunately they are rather expensive in Singapore... I love anything that are retro , has a character of its own , unique texture , both vibrant and classic colors.... and many many more.

Maybe You'll Enjoy These Too...

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...