29.4.10

Film; Precious




I finally watched the film Precious.  It was not, surprisingly, as difficult to watch as the book was to read.  I guess if you are well prepared for abuse and incest then you can desensitize yourself.  I watched it with Dr. J and my parents none of whom had read the book but knew to expect the above mentioned. 
The film is excellent.  I still liked the book better, as I always do, but I did not hate the film- which I usually do. 
The cast was amazing.  Mariah Carey who plays a social worker is really a talented actress.  I don’t like her music and the bit I have seen of her public image on MTV Cribs and Perez Hilton gives the impression that she is an attention seeking diva (aren’t they all- or aren’t we all!?). 
The role of the mother is played by Mo’Nique who won an Oscar for Best Supporting Actress for this film.  Her portrayal of this nasty human being produced in me a physical revulsion.  Although I never felt sorry for her there is a scene where she is talking with her daughter and the social worker that was excellent in the novel and played well in the film.
The actress who plays Precious, Gabourey Sidbide is a newly discovered talent.  In her first staring role she does an excellent job of carrying the film. 
Often I feel that films ruin novels and dumb things down for general audiences.  
Such was not the case for this film.  I encourage everyone to see it-

8 comments:

Lovely World said...

I cannot see this movie, or read the book. I empathize with the story, and know it is important, but I have a great inability to set difficult images and stories aside. It began as a child when I read "Sounder" and watched the Roots and Holocaust mini-series. It was difficult to fall asleep at night as I replayed these difficult themes in my mind. I know I must miss out on some fabulous films, but that is me for now.

I am a little behind on my blog reading. Looks like food has been preoccupying you here a bit!

Ren- Lady Of The Arts said...

Lovely World- I know exactly how you feel. When I was pregnant with my first child I gave up watching films and reading books that upset me.
Maybe because of the hype surrounding this film, I really wanted to see it- The book was much harder for me but that has probably more to do with the order of things.
You are right- food has been a bit of a preoccupation.

Bossy Betty said...

Thank you! I have been meaning to see this and now I will!

Rita said...

Hey Lady Ren!
Thank you for this review, I thought this movie is another hollywood shallow story,and you surprised me:)
Now I know I will watch this movie as soon as I get the copy:)

take care
Just

Mia said...

Great review. Thankyou. I have heard Mariah Carey is surprising everyone in the film. I've never thought too greatly of her so it's actually hard to imagine. I'll have to rent this one. Thanks again!

Meg said...

I agree the movies was hard to watch but very good!

Meg

Pat Tillett said...

Thanks for the review. I did read the book, but have yet to see the movie. It's a hard and sad story.

Deb said...

Nice to meet you too!
I agree with you, excellent movie, though disturbing. I haven't read the book yet, but would really like to.

Maybe You'll Enjoy These Too...

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...