3.4.10

Film: Out in the Silence



I watched the documentary film Out in the Silence. While I don’t particularly think it is a must see film, I am grateful that I watched it.
The film, by Joe Wilson, documents his story of announcing his same sex marriage in his childhood town’s newspaper. The backlash it causes and ultimately the letter from a mother whose son ‘came out of the closet’ in the same town results in Mr. Wilson’s return to Oil Town to document the trials and tribulations of discrimination.
I cannot stand ignorance; to me narrow mindedness is a sign of ignorance. I believe that everyone should have the right to live as they want to live as long as they are respectful of others. We teach our children that sometimes women marry women and sometimes men marry men. It would never occur to me to analyze this in terms of good or bad; right or wrong- it is what it is.
What I took away from this film is the way a small group of narrow minded people can definitively cause so much pain. In the case of this film a small group of American Family Association member fought to keep discrimination guideline training and resources from educators.
At 55 minutes long I would recommend seeing Out in the Silence, if your library has a copy. This film could certainly spark some interesting discussion.
http://www.wpsu.org/outinthesilence

6 comments:

Rita said...

I totally agree with you, I feel so helpless when I see signs of discrimination..fortunately we've got an influence on our children and can teach them how to be tolerant towards different people.Different doesn't mean worse!
hugs
Just

Ren- Lady Of The Arts said...

Just- I agree, for us we try to show our monkeys that there is no difference. If people live their lives in ways you don't- that it's not a big deal.

The Accidental Mommy said...

It always seems to be a "small group" with the loudest voices.

essbesee said...

Will check this one out. I love documentaries, and this one looks interesting. Small-minded people are such drags.

Valarie said...

Why is it that the smallest group of people can cause so much pain? I totally agree with you. Live and let live. My library has a copy of this and I'll go and pick it up to have a look. Thanks Ren.

jacqueline said...

I love documentaries and i might check this out. I hope you had a good easter weekend! Have a lovely merry happy week and love to yoU!

Maybe You'll Enjoy These Too...

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...