9.6.10

Granola



I love eating granola and for the longest time was spending about 7 bucks a pop getting the ‘healthy’ kind at Whole Foods. I finally smartened up and got my mother-in-laws super easy recipe that I make in a big batch, put exactly what I want in it and have for months.

We eat it with vanilla yogurt and fresh fruits, most week days. I usually sprinkle ground flax seeds on it (as I do on anything I can get away with). So not only am I getting my fresh fruit and fiber but dairy in the yogurt (osteoporosis is a serious concern for all women).
Here is my MIL’s adaptation of Alton Brown’s recipe (I heart Alton).

Ingredients
3 cups of rolled oats
1 cup of cashews

1 cup of slivered almonds
¾ unsweetened shredded coconut
¼ cup dark brown sugar
¼ cup maple syrup
¼ cup vegetable
¾ teaspoon salt


Pre-Heat oven to 280 degrees F
In a large bowl combine everything in the order it appears above.

Place on two sheet pans- for about an hour and 15 min, checking and stirring approximately every 15-20 min
I keep this in a large Tupperware and this amount lasts us for about two months.

20 comments:

Nancy Grossi ~ Churned In Cali ~ The Wife of a Dairyman said...

Great recipe! Sounds delicious!

Cashon&Co said...

oh YUMMMMMMY! I need to check if Granola is considered gluten free. if it isn't then this is one of those times that i hate being gluten free! it's only been 6 weeks and i'm still learning what i can/can't eat. love alton too!

essbesee said...

this sounds yummy. M. has a peanut allergy and I generally avoid all nuts to be safe, but that sounds yummy. Do you have a good trail mix recipe? I've had that on the brain lately for some reason.

and my WV?

nestless

weird.

and flowers pick themselves said...

i heart alton too. my mom and i were shopping today and she almost bought a rice steamer and i said "it's a uni-tasker! what would alton say?"

:)

xo Alison

Erika said...

Alton Brown is fantastic!!! And I am glad you posted this...I frequently buy granola. Glad to see it is super easy to make and just as healthy (if not more than) what I end up buying.

Dani G said...

Yum! Wish we could share a bowl now!
Cashon- generally granolas (granolae?!) are not GF. Those that are specify so. I found delicious GF granola by a co called Jessica's Natural Foods. Yum. You can create your own using GF oats. Jury's out on whether to call oatmeal GF. Some is, some isn't. Bob's Red Mill make a GF rolled oat. Good luck!

Alisa said...

Oooh yum! I will have to try this!

J. said...

No worries! It was a great read :) I'm sorry the was such a let down though...hopefully she's a little more interactive in her stand up and I do love her books!

Great recipe btw!

Rita said...

that looks yummy!:)

k said...

bookmarking this right now. love it!

Mia said...

Oh Yum. That just makes me hungry right now and it's 12 hours away from breakfast here....

Erin Wallace said...

I was thinking just the other day that I wish I knew how to makethis! You read my mind!

Thanks for visiting my site - i am now following yours.

xo Erin

Unknown said...

This sounds so amazing! Thanks for sharing the recipe!

Lenore @ Lather. Write. Repeat. said...

Good idea! I love granola with yogurt and fruit and I love to cook. So why haven't I done this yet? Maybe this weekend while the fella is away!

Thanks so much for sharing.

XO
Lenore

jeanette from everton terrace said...

Granola like this is something I miss (also gluten-free). Rolled oats are not GF but steel cut oats are (though you can't make granola with them). I'm an avid flax seed sprinkler as well!

Valarie said...

I have all of these ingredients which means I'll be heading down to the kitchen to make myself some of your awesome granola. ;) Thanks for the recipe. Looks so good.

Hope Chella said...

thanks for sharing this and I'm a new follower :) xx

Roland D. Yeomans said...

Your recipe sounds delicious. I see you've traveled to quite a few countries. The one country I dream of visiting is New Zealand.

One day.

You have a fascinating blog, Roland

Getrealmommy said...

yum. wish I wasnt so lazy. maybe i would make this. :)

Theresa said...

Wow that looks amazing! I may just have to try to make some. It should be interesting considering I really don't cook or bake but I do love granola!

Maybe You'll Enjoy These Too...

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...