12.6.10

The Absolutely True Diary Of A Part-Time Indian- Sherman Alexie



The Absolutely True Diary of a Part Time Indian is a young adult novel written by Sherman Alexie. Semi autobiographical it tells the story of a native American boy, Junior, living on a reservation. It deals with the stereotypes associated with native American’s poverty and alcoholism, in a refreshing and direct manner. It is unapologetic in its portrayal of reservation life.

I heard a bit of a buzz going on about this book and several blogs recommended it. I read it in two sittings and would like to read it to my monkeys. My older son could read it on his own but I feel they would both benefit reading it with me there to answer the questions that undoubtedly will arise. I have recommended this to Dr. J and he has it on his bedside.  This is one of those novels that after I finished I wished I could have a chat with the author over coffee.

Whenever I read I use post its to bookmark passages I want to remember.
Here are a few that stood out for me:

I wanted to hate Dad and Mom for our poverty.
I wanted to blame them for my sick dog and for all the other sickness in the world.
But I can’t blame my parents for our poverty because my mother and father are the twin suns around which I orbit and my world would EXPLODE without them.
---------------------------
The world, even the smallest parts of it, is filled with thing you don’t know.
--------------------------
She went searching for her dreams, and she didn’t find them, but she made the attempt.
--------------------------
The novel also features art work in the style of hilarious cartoons done by Ellen Forney. 

8 comments:

essbesee said...

I read about this book somewhere else and now I want to read it after reading your take on it.

totally - sorta unrelated - but the author's name makes me think of sherman's march the documentary by ross mcalwee, and how if you haven't seen it, you must

Alisa said...

I loved it!

Unknown said...

Reminds me of a more grown up version of the Wimpy Kids Diary.

Bossy Betty said...

Love this book!

tulpen said...

Oooh. Looks great!

Mia said...

Thanks for this - I'll look out for it.

drollgirl said...

glad you liked this book! i loved it!

Lovely World said...

This is sitting on our bookshelf. None of us has read it yet. Thanks for reminding me. I think I'll read it first, then see is my daughter is ready for it.

Maybe You'll Enjoy These Too...

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...