17.6.10

We Built This City On Rock And Roll



Today our Farts and Crafts activity was building a city using boxes I’ve been saving (from the recycling bins) for the last few weeks-
We have a chalk table Dr. J and I made for the monkeys by painting a particle board and placing it on two saw horses. This table also serves as a pint size ping pong table.  It is easy to move around and I put it in the garage.
I gave them boxes, recycled paper, tape, glue, scissors, chalk and markers. We also used their Playmobile people, cars and a nature bucket full of pine cones and rocks. We drew roads and went to town- or rather city. The name of our city is Rock Star and they made an airport, hospital, zoo, office, bank, pond, mountains, ball park, gas station and police station. I suggested making a school but was told Rock Star didn’t need one.





This was a great exercise in creativity and imagination.  I have a feeling they will continue to play with, and add to, Rock Star in the coming days- Thank G-d it’s in the garage.

Questions to consider while creating:
What materials (medium) are we using to create?
What types of art genres use found objects or recycled objects? (most commonly Assemblage but also Found Art, Junk Art and a fairly new term is Up-cycled Art) 
Could this be considered a sculpture? (yes- it is three dimensional art)

I linked this to Friday's Nature Table

16 comments:

Grace said...

How cool! What a great idea on the chalkboard table...

Lenore @ Lather. Write. Repeat. said...

Too cute! Way to keep them occupied!

XO
Lenore

k said...

awesome mom alert :)

Bo said...

Farts and crafts...lol Somehow I just don't think that's a typo.

Ren- Lady Of The Arts said...

Grace- thanks
Lenore- hopefully hours and hours!
Krystal- thanks you just made me feel warm and fuzzy and good!
Bo- not a typo- little boys and their potty humor- as the only female in the house I work on the level of if you can't bet em...

jeanette from everton terrace said...

Also love the Farts and Crafts. You do WAY better craft projects than I did with my daughter. This is super cool. I would have fun with it - I'd be decorating Rock Star's cereal box house!

Nancy Grossi ~ Churned In Cali ~ The Wife of a Dairyman said...

Love, love, love this idea! I bet it keeps them entertained for hours!

essbesee said...

man your farts and crafts blew ours away today. we glued pictures with macaroni and rice and trix cereal (ewww - better than eating it). loving that the playmobil dudes are hangin in rock star city.

Lovely World said...

This is so great. But, I also get your relief that it is in the garage.

LenoreNeverM♡re said...

Cheers to super creativity & imagination!
xo

Ren- Lady Of The Arts said...

Everton- That is a great idea- maybe I can do some 'girl' crafting and get the glitter out and make the Major of Rock Star's house.
Nancy- Here's hoping!
Sherri- No way- glueing stuff is fun! And Yes Trix should be glued not eaten- Did you notice the Pop's cereal box? Remember I told you my MIL was in town... SO NOT ME!
Lovely- They've been in the garage all day- this is the bonus I didn't think about- Mess AND Monkeys NOT IN HOUSE.
LenoreNeverMore- Cheers!

Erin Wallace said...

So cool - love that Rock Star doesn't need a school!

xo Erin

beingzaraandzidan said...

Hey great blog. I am ur newest follower.
Plz do visit me. I hope u follow back
http://beingzaraandzidan.blogspot.com/

Mama Gone Green said...

cool! That will be a great rainy-day activity for when my little guy is a bit older!

Clair said...

I agree with your city planners-Rock Star does not need a school at this time of the year. This was a super idea LadyRen- your boys are soooo absorbed in their building. I can see them returning to it over and over. It is a work in progress.

Valarie said...

This is a great roadway. They put so much detail into it. Just fantastic. We have many roadways over here too.

Maybe You'll Enjoy These Too...

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...