12.3.10

The Country Teacher



I watched another Film Movement Movie titled: The Country Teacher.
I have become obsessed with seeing all the past Film Movement Movies so I can then sign up to continue to see the new ones (read more about it here). My local library has several movies that are a part of this selection.
The Country Teacher is a Czechoslovakian film and takes place in a remote village setting outside of Prague. At its core, this film is a Shakespearean comedy/tragedy. The premise is that everyone has something to hide. The film incorporates moments of death, birth, deception and rape bonded with reactions that are both expected and not. There are enough unforeseen moments in this film to make it worthy of watching. What I really took away from this film is the underlying theme that that everyone needs someone and that sometimes this comes with a price.

The NYT review: http://movies.nytimes.com/2009/03/27/movies/27teac.html

8 comments:

Mary Bergfeld said...

This is the first I've heard of Film Movement Movies. I have some research to do and hopefully my library will have at least some of the movies in the series.

jacqueline said...

Me too! It's my first time i've heard Film Movement movies. That film looks really interesting! Thanks so much for sharing. I am planning to watch alice in wonderland this weekend. Have a lovely merry happy day and love to yoU!

Anonymous said...

I also enjoy foreign movies, but have never heard of the Film Movement Movies.
Will have a look through our library system. Thanks for the review.

Lovely World said...

I haven't heard of this movie. Thanks for the suggestion, though. I've just got back into watching movies more regularly. After having my kids I found it hard to find the time. Now they are older and it is easier. And tomorrow we go and see Alice in Wonderland together!

kindra said...

hi there Lady Ren! thanks for the recommendation + all the kind words on my blog!

Adele said...

We love foreign films... I'm checking to see if our library carries this one!

Clair said...

Sounds interesting. Will also try to see if our library has it.

Valarie said...

This movie looks great. Like the above comments...what is the film movement movies? I just love foreign films and this sounds like something right up my alley. Thanks for the tip.

Maybe You'll Enjoy These Too...

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...