28.3.10

Highlight Of The Week- Pyszne!



We sit down to dinner together every night. That is how I was raised and this is how we are raising our monkeys. As they are getting older our conversations are becoming more stimulating and I find myself thinking about our dinner conversations long after the meal. Our dinners usually start with the “highlight of the day” this tradition was adopted from the S’s family tradition of doing a “highlight of the week” for Friday night, Shabbat dinner. We always go from youngest to oldest. On days when we are grumpy we start with the worst part of the day and by the end we are laughing and sharing the good parts that we almost forgot about.
My highlight for this week was that Dr. J came home for lunch everyday. Depending on his week he is usually able to come home once or twice and sometime I meet him somewhere. This week it was everyday and it was gorgeous out and we were able to eat outside. I love having lunch with my husband and I love having a ‘date’ in the middle of the day!
These are photos of my favorite lunch (very reminiscent of my childhood)

GOOD Rye bread (like the real deal)
Grey Poupon- Dijon
Polish Kielbasa (must be from a Polish deli to be real deal)
Tomatoes
Salt and Pepper
The Kielbasa tastes best if it is lightly fried on a skillet until both sides are browned.
Serve with a bowl of soup and in my opinion this is the best lunch in the world.
(The soup in the photo is mushroom barley)
PYSZNE!

22 comments:

Amy said...

I am definitely trying that! I am on such a tomato kick as of late! Yum, yum!

Hope you had a fantastic weekend!

Rita said...

it looks delicious! I've never thought about eating such sandwiches with soup, we usually add pure toasts to it:)
I like family gatherings idea, they strenghten relations and put into family life more than we think
have a great week!take care
Just

Adele said...

Smacznego! Looks great... and I like the highlight of the day tradition. I'm going to give that a try this week.

Ren- Lady Of The Arts said...

Amy- you will love it!
Just- they taste so yummy like this and I agree having family traditions is so important
Adele- are you Polish too? It is such a great conversation starter- the monkeys usually start it!

Sarah said...

Oh no! I don't have a Polish deli which means mine won't be the real deal. :(

Oh well. Thanks for sharing though. :D

Bo said...

yummy! I've never had a sandwich like this.

Karumen said...

yummmm! luves tomato!!
gd job in keeping the dinner tradition. i hv that too. it's a great way to bond with ur family :))

Ren- Lady Of The Arts said...

Sarah- you can try asking around and because it is a smoked meat it keeps for awhile.
Bo- It's yum
Karumen- Such a great way to bond and share.

jacqueline said...

Dearest Ren, i am a huge fan of tomato and i definitely trying this out! I too was raised to sit down to dinner together every night! And now it's becoming a tradition for my lovely partner and me. :) Have a lovely merry happy week and love to yoU!

Mała Mi said...

And what is Rye Bread???? :)

Mała Mi said...

Lady :) I hate tomato! But kiełbasa... this is something delicious! :) my boyfreind make [smoke] kiełbasa in home :) so we have down-home kiełbasę :) [sausage]

Anonymous said...

i'm definitely going to try this recipe. it looks delicious!

xo Alison

one sydney road said...

That's so nice to have lunch with your hubby - that would be such a treat for me! This looks sooo yummy!!

Mary Bergfeld said...

I'm so glad you got extra time with your husband. I think your keilbasa looks delicious. Have a great week. Blessings...Mary

Aunt Juicebox said...

Mmmmmm - makes me look forward to tomato season. Although I love my kielbasa with bell peppers too.

Ren- Lady Of The Arts said...

Jac-So wonderful to have traditions with loved ones! I hope you have a great week!
MalaMi- I am SO SO jealous that you have homemade keilbasa- I bought 'homemade' at the store but it was not like my Dziadzia used to make- I miss him. Rye bread to me is what regular chleb is to you-I think- I will ask my tata.
Alison- you will love it.
One S road- It is such a treat.
Mary- I hope you have a good week too.
Aunt Juicebox- I love my kielbasa almost anyway- do you mean the pickled peppers? That is also a very Polish dish- But sauteed with regular bells is awesome too.

essbesee said...

we try to do highlight of the day as well, thanks for reminding me I'd like to make this more of a tradition than an occaional thing. and love that you call your kiddos monkeysa as I do.

KL girl in MELB said...

It is wonderful to be able to recreate part of your childhood thru food :)

Rita said...

hey girls Rye bread is żytni in Polish;) kisses!

A "cheery" disposition said...

that looks so yummy

Clair said...

Nice family tradition and such a great way for all of you to share the ups and downs of your day. The lunch looks yummy.
Clair

Ren- Lady Of The Arts said...

Sherri- Great tradition!- And I like to call a spade a spade or in this case a monkey a monkey right!
KL- I agree, the older I get the more I appreciate this- and in turn try and create these memories for my monkeys.
Dotblog- THANK YOU!!!!!
A Cherry- Thanks for stoping by!
Clair- Thank you so much for your sweet comments!

Maybe You'll Enjoy These Too...

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...